January 25, 2004

CNN.com - Blair defends Iraq WMD reports


Intelligence reports suggesting Saddam Hussein possessed weapons of mass destruction were correct, UK Prime Minister Tony Blair said in an interview with a Sunday newspaper.
Blair said he believed in the intelligence material presented to him ahead of last year's conflict, despite the subsequent failure of coalition forces to find WMD in Iraq.
"I believe the intelligence was correct, and I think in the end we will have an explanation. I have absolutely no doubt at all in my mind that the intelligence was genuine."
Asked if the weapons will be found, Blair said: "Well that is something that the Iraq Survey Group is going to have to find. All I can say is that prior to the conflict, during the conflict, immediately after the conflict, we were having meetings, discussions, taking precautions precisely on that basis."